New Castle Remodeling
Locks, Home Security
There are several ways to ensure your home is secure.
1. You can ensure your doorknobs are installed correctly so that they can’t be opened simply by using a credit card or a knife. Look at an exterior knob where the latch (horizontal) rod) sticks out of the edge of the door and goes into a hole in the frame to latch. There is usually a second small piece that is separate from, but next to the latching piece.
The big latch that goes into the frame is the one that latches the door and the small one is the piece that is not suppose to go into the hole in the frame. The small one, if correctly installed, stays retracted inside the door, serves to lock the large latch in place. When the knob is installed correctly, you can’t push the latching piece back in and get in with a credit card.
2. You can ensure that your deadbolts are keyed on both sides. This means you have to use a key to open and close the deadbolt from either side of the door. The reason that you want this is if someone breaks into your house through a window they can’t open the door from the inside and empty your house.
3. You can install security lighting on your house in areas where someone might want to break in or come up to the house. This lighting can be put on motion detectors so that they only come on when someone gets near and this helps to scare them away because they are not sure if someone turned them on of if they are automatic.
4. You can install a security system in your house. This can be done with a system that you buy and install yourself or there are a lot of companies that install and monitor these systems. There are systems that turn lights on and off randomly when you are away.
5. You can put on security screen doors and security bars on the windows fairly inexpensively.
6. You can install “The Door Club” on your door. It is a device that you install by drilling a hole in the floor and dropping a rod in the hole which prevents the door from opening. This type of device is for your home protection while you are at home.
7. Get a dog.
Feel free to call me about your particular home security situation.
Contact: Randy Mate, New Castle Remodeling (License #978915). Phone: 818-548-8760.