Basement remodel into office and family room + more
dk berg designs LLC
Interior Designer, Interior Design Services, Home Staging
This remodel started with a cold, unfriendly lower level of a three floor tri-plex that was currently being used as a laundry room, kitchenette, exterior door to driveway, two office stations, storage, entrance to basement next to kitchenette (drafty), it was open to the hallway stairs to the kitchen and their guest bedroom and bathroom were also off that hallway.
The clients had already added the cork flooring and closed in the ceiling duct work prior to the before pictures being taken so this space actually looked worse than the before pictures show. I have added all the before pictures under images.
The list of must haves included: two office stations, lots and lots of storage, keep laundry center and add storage, keep kitchenette and fix it up, change lighting, add space for a table and chairs for game night, add seating for watching movies on a projector screen, add a place for the TV, and do something about the heat problem. Clean uncluttered design.
In the images section above I have included the floor plan and elevation drawings of what I was proposing for the space:
- Add a swing door with frosted glass to close off the hallway to the stairs and bath and bedroom.
- Put shelving above the washer and dryer.
- Add an electric fireplace for warmth and put storage behind it and a tall kitchen pantry next to the basement door for more storage. Paint it orange/red to draw your attention away from work stations.
- Switch out the existing kitchen cabinets for other (used) kitchen cabinets that matched. Paint the cabinets, change out hardware, put in a larger refrigerator and accent the wall with the client's favorite orange-red on the wall and curtain over basement door.
- Add counter height table and stools between kitchenette and fireplace with pendant lighting above.
- Add two work stations in the two corners of the far wall and all the way to the fireplace for storage.
- Across from fireplace add small sofa and two storage ottomans with trays. Add a rug to soften the area and finally accent lighting to highlight the client's artwork over the sofa.
With very few changes the project was built as designed. More after photos are in the images section above.
affordable interior design
, Design Consultant
, Designers & Decorators
, Home Interior Design
, Home Staging
, Interior Design Consultation
, Interior Design for DIYers
, Interior Design Services
, Interior Designer
, Interior Redesign
, Residential Interior Designer