What to Know Before Hiring a Limo Service
Hoyt Livery Inc
Airport Car Service
Thinking about hiring a limousine service for your next outing, or simply to drive you to the airport? Like any other industry, all limo companies are not alike, and choosing the right one could mean the difference between an enjoyable experience, or a nightmare on wheels. Here’s what to know before you make a reservation.
1. Determine your budget. Know how much you want to spend on a car, but don’t choose a limousine service just because it’s cheap. This may work when booking a coach flight—not so much a limousine. There are other factors to consider, such as a company’s reputation, years in business, toll and tipping policy, and hourly minimum to rent a vehicle.
2. Check out the company. Go online and Google local limo companies. For example, “limousine companies, Fairfield County, CT.” Read some websites, and better yet, call the company. Ask how long have they been in business? Can they provide any testimonials? Does the company’s insurance policy also cover passengers? Do they belong to the National Limousine Association?
3. Decide kind of car you want. There are many different types of limousines. Some are basic and others have more “bling.” Are you traveling alone or with a party of people? This, along with your taste and budget, will help determine the kind of limousine you want, whether it’s a regular Town Car, a standard stretch limo or a specialty Hummer or Mercedes. Ask the company about the quality of their cars, and perhaps ask for a newer model. If you have a certain limousine in mind, make sure the make and model is indicated in your reservation or contract.
4. Ask about the chauffeur. This is an important one. With some limousine companies, their drivers are not employees of the company — they are sub-contractors hired to pick you up at a given time. This is a quality and safety no-no. Make sure the chauffeur that will be driving you is an employee of the company, and has been trained, licensed and insured by that company. Also, that he or she is an experienced driver and knows the area roads and routes. When you make a reservation, consider sending your itinerary to the driver ahead of time with your correct address and time for pickup.
5. Know what’s included in the contract. Like any purchase, buyer beware. Know and understand the terms and conditions of the contract. Is there an on time guarantee? Does insurance cover passengers as well as the chauffeur? Are tips and tolls included or are they extra? (It is standard to tip a deserving driver.) What about amenities, such as snacks and champagne. Is this included in the price of the car, and will they be in the car when it arrives? Going the extra mile ahead of time will help ensure an excellent experience with your limousine and chauffeur.
Airport Car Service