How to move your WordPress website from one to server to another with no downtime.
Godfrey Web Services
Web Design, Wordpress
How to move a WordPress website to another server with no downtime. WordPress is an amazing open source content management system that makes maintaining websites extremely easy. There will come a time when you may have the need to move your Wordpress website from one server to another server. You may be thinking that this is going to be a task for IT professionals. Actually, you can move your WordPress website without any down time. We are going to tell you how to do it. Now if you are moving your WordPress website from one hosting account to another account with in the same service provider. You can have the technical staff perform the transition for you. In order to perform the transition from one server to another, you will need what is called an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program. I highly recommend Filezilla for all uploading and downloading of website files. Here are the steps to perform the transition of your WordPress Website yourself.
1. You will need to transfer your domain name to your new host. Make sure to prepare your domain name for transfer. This requires you to make sure that privacy is turned off of the domain name, and be sure to obtain your EPP code within your domain name admin section. Please note that domain name transfers can take up to as long as five to seven days to complete. Once the transfer is complete, do not manually update your DNS setting to point to your hosting account just yet. This is very important.
2. Next you are going to need to log into your old hosting account’s database files. Locate your WordPress database files and download them to your computer. You are going to need these files.
3. Next, you will need to use your FTP program to download all of your core website files to your computer. Once you have downloaded them to your computer. You will need to log into your new hosting account and upload your website files.
4. Once you have uploaded all your websites files to your hosting account. Go ahead and install WordPress on your new hosting account. When you install WordPress on your hosting account, you will need to make note of the database information created by WordPress.
5. This is where things can get very confusing concerning the database. I am going to explain a very easy method to transfer your database. Now many will tell you to create a database on your hosting account, upload the database, and then modify the wp-config.php file. Not all hosting companies are created equal, and this method may not always work the way you want it too. The method that I am going to explain now is a little time consuming, but will ensure a very easy and smooth transfer. Remember you made note of the database that WordPress created at the time of install, right. Now log into that database, and then all you need to do is upload your database files in this location. What I like to do personally at this point is first download the database file to be uploaded. Then delete the record that was created at the time of the new install, and replace that file with your old database file. Do this with each datbase file for your WordPress website. This is great for those WordPress websites that have a large database. Again, this method just outlined to upload your database files will be a little time consuming, but this ensures that all of your database files will be transferred in their entirety.
6. Now that you have uploaded your database and all of your website files. Log into your domain name admin control panel, navigate to your DNS Zone files. You need to point your domain name to your hosting account’s IP address. Then update your changes to the DNS Zone files. You are done!
Then just go ahead and log into your WordPress admin area. You will need to make sure that everything works properly, it will. You just successfully transferred your WordPress website without any downtime. If you ever have any questions or need help moving your WordPress website to another server. Please do not hesitate to contact us.