Hundreds of wool rugs will be eaten by moths this May in Victoria BC.
Rug Cleaning, clothes case making moth, moth eating wool rug,
May 2014…The clothes case making moth and webbing moth eat the fibres of wool rugs causing expensive repair costs or lost of a treasured rug. It is the larva of the moths that eat away at your rugs. They thrive in dark, dirty and undisturbed areas, which include closets, attics, under furniture and even underneath your rugs. The female can lay 50 to 100 eggs and they all hatch, it depends on the size of the food source if they all survive.
Stephen “Dusty” Roberts, Master Rug Cleaner and team leader at Luv-A-Rug in Victoria BC Canada, says “This is the biggest outbreak of moth infested rugs that we have seen in years and I suspect it is because of less pesticides in the environment." Luv-A-Rug is doing no obligation free moth inspections in Victoria BC.
How to Spot Moth Damage
you notice missing tufts of wool
you see what looks and feels like course sand in or under your rug
you see what looks like rice shaped fluff, i.e.: larva casings
you notice small (1/2 inch) golden moths fluttering near wool items
you start to see the white foundation cotton on the back of your rug
How to Prevent Moth Damage
Here are 6 ways to prevent moths from finding your wool area rugs appealing:
1. Get your rugs cleaned by a professional rug cleaner every 1-2 yrs.
2. Get pet urine accidents professionally cleaned right away, moths love pet urine.
3. Vacuum your rugs top and bottom. By vacuuming your rugs upside down you can eliminate up to 3 times of hidden dirt and check for hidden moth damage
4. Getting your air ducts and vents cleaned before using them eliminates a hidden food source for moths.
5. Cleaning all wool items before storing them and storing them properly
6. Vacuuming your entire rug at least once a month, this includes the backside of rug and under furniture.
What to do if you find Moths
Even with the best cleaning regime, moths may still find their way to your wool rugs. If you find that moths have started eating your wool rug there are things you can do to prevent them from spreading to other rugs, clothes and blankets.
First roll up the infected rug, if possible wrap it in an old sheet or plastic bag and remove it from your home and call your professional rug cleaners to get the rug in for cleaning and moth treatment
Vacuum where the rug was, including around baseboards, under furniture, and vents
Check all your wool items in your closet and storage to see if they have moth activity/damage
clothes case making moth
, moth eating wool rug
, Rug Cleaning
, wool moth