Top 5 Divorce Tips for Men
American Divorce Association For Men
Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support
So you are getting a divorce. While you’re probably not thrilled that you’re in this position, there are still a number of things to consider in regards to coming out on the other side of the divorce as unscathed as possible.
1. Understand the investment. It’s important that you acknowledge and accept the fact that the average divorce can be a major expense for many people. There are a number of factors that may dramatically increase the price of your divorce, such as lengthy custody battles or drawn-out arguments over assets. Keep this in mind and attempt to reach a mutual agreement on the important items before you enter into the dispute resolution process.
2. Alimony is Tax Deductible. Don’t Forget It. When it comes to alimony, many men might find themselves feeling immediately resistant to the idea of providing continued financial support to their ex-wife. However, it may help to know that your alimony dollars are tax-deductible using a 1040 form. Don’t let that slip through your fingers come April 15.
3. Make Sure You’re Getting Your Fair Share. While you may be used to conceding to your ex-wife in a number of ways, your divorce is a great time to step up and make sure that you’re taken care of. When appropriate, be sure to split assets as evenly as possible with your ex-wife. Since you are no longer married, you are no longer in a situation in which you must put your ex’s needs before your own.
4. Create a Budget. As soon as you’re ready, it will be important to compose a budget that helps you to better manage your financial life after the divorce. You may be living a completely different lifestyle once the divorce is finalized, so it will be necessary to make changes to your current budget that reflect those changes.
5. Don’t Spend Your Feelings Away. While it may feel right to make large impulsive purchases in the wake of a fresh divorce, it’s best that you take a step back and really consider all major purchases before pulling the trigger. Major financial decisions made in the midst of emotional stress may prove to be unwise.
If you have any questions regarding best practices throughout the divorce process, feel free to contact any of the capable and experienced lawyers at ADAM.
About ADAM (American Divorce Association for Men)
The American Divorce Association for Men (ADAM) is a group of highly qualified attorneys
who advocate for men’s rights in divorce, child custody and parenting time, paternity, support,
property settlement, post judgment modifications, and other family law matters. Since 1988,
ADAM has been aggressive, diligent, and uncompromising when representing their clients. A
team of compassionate and skilled family law attorneys, ADAM is dedicated to being
Michigan’s leading divorce attorneys for men and practices a policy of integrity in all dealings.
, Child Support
, Divorce Attorney
, Divorce Law
, Divorce Lawyer
, Family Lawyer