Low vision devices

By: Texas State Optical  07/13/2014
Keywords: eye doctor, Optometry Practice, Eye Doctors

If you have hazy or blurred vision, light sensitivity, loss of peripheral vision, night blindness, a need for more light than before, unusual floaters or spots, or difficulty reading - your first step is to see an eyecare professional for a complete exam. These could be the first signs of a serious eye disease such as macular degeneration, glaucoma, or retinitis pigmentosa. Or, they could mean you are developing a cataract that needs removal. Whatever the case, it's wise to take action before further vision loss occurs. If your eye doctor finds you have a vision loss that cannot be corrected with eyewear, medical treatment or surgery, they can refer you to a low vision specialist. Usually an optometrist, a low vision specialist can evaluate the degree and type of vision loss you have, prescribe appropriate low vision aids, and help you learn how to use them. The low vision specialist can also recommend non-optical adaptive devices, such as large-print books, audio tapes, special light fixtures and signature guides for signing checks and documents. If necessary, your eye doctor or low vision specialist can also refer you to a counselor to help you cope with your loss of vision.

Keywords: eye doctor, Eye Doctors, Eyewear Needs, Optometry Practice

Contact Texas State Optical


Print this page

Other products and services from Texas State Optical


Eye exam

Eye exams at Texas State Optical are more than a simple look at your eye. Our optometrists pride themselves on