Child Support

By: Law Office of Jon R. Boyd  01/08/2015
Keywords: Child Custody

Although in most cases the courts in Texas follow guidelines for setting child support, there may be and often are times when the percentage guidelines shouldn’t be applied blindly. The law allows the court to use discretion in deciding whether additional factors exist that warrant deviating from the standard percentage amounts. What if you have your children literally half of the time? What if you have at least two children and the custody of them is split so that maybe Mom has one child and Dad has the other? What if there are additional factors that make the guidelines inappropriate such as travel expenses or paying for a child in college? What if you are a high-income earner and net more than the “cap” amount of $7,500.00 per month? Interestingly, the Family Code does not yet have provisions that directly govern many of these situations and the decision is left to the discretion of the court. Advocacy by an experienced attorney makes a real difference. Plano family law Attorney Jon Boyd has defended many cases for parents who find themselves in these situations. Jon also has extensive experience with unusual child support issues such as special needs children, or cases involving medical or psychological issues, and he can help if this applies to you. Additionally, Jon defends against Attorney General and other child support collection agency support cases, both for in-state and out-of-state clients. At Boyd Family Law, we don’t think one parent should be saddled with paying all of a child’s support. To find out if we can help you get a fair deal, contact our office now for a free consultation.

Keywords: Child Custody

Contact Law Office of Jon R. Boyd

Email - none provided

Print this page

Other products and services from Law Office of Jon R. Boyd

Divorce from Law Office of Jon R. Boyd thumbnail


Divorce rates have hovered near the 50 percent mark for many years. With so many societal influences, not to mention

Visitation from Law Office of Jon R. Boyd thumbnail


Some parents will do anything to deny or limit the other parent’s ability to regularly visit and maintain a relationship

Paternity from Law Office of Jon R. Boyd thumbnail


If a child is born outside of marriage, a mother may want to legitimize her child and obtain child support