Christmas Tree Fire Safety Tips for Southeastern, WI
Emergency Fire & Water Restoration
Fire Restoration, Water Damage Contractor, Smoke Damage Restoration
Avoid Fire and Water Damage in Southeastern WI by following the tips below:
Is the last of the turkey eaten? Did you brave the crowds and shop on Black Friday? Did you do your part for your local economy by shopping on Small Business Saturday? Is it now time to start the holiday decorating?
If the answer is yes to most of the above, before you start decorating, take a few moments and read this blog post, because some of the tips may very well keep you safe this holiday season. Fire Damage during the holidays is an unfortunate occurrence and on average some fire departments can respond to over 200 fires caused by Christmas trees?
Most of those fires could be prevented if we practice some of the common safety tips listed below: (Tips are courtesy of NFPA)
Picking the tree:
· If you are using an acritical tree, make sure it is labeled by the manufacturer as being flame retardant.
· If purchasing a real tree, make sure the tree is fresh, and that the needles don’t fall off when touched.
Placing the tree:
· Cut 1 to 2” from the base of the trunk before placing the tree in the stand.
· The tree needs to be at least three feet away from fireplaces, radiators, candles, or any other heat source.
· Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
· Water tree daily.
Lighting the tree:
· Always use lights that have a UL or other independent testing label on it. Also, double check to make sure what types of lights you have. Some are only for indoor use, some for outdoor, and some for both.
· Replace any light strings that have frayed or broken cords, or loose bulb connections. ALSO, connect no more than 3 strands of lights together. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for numbers of LED strands to connect.
· This goes without saying, but NEVER EVER use lit candles to decorate the tree.
· Before leaving the house, or heading to be, make sure to turn off the lights.
· When the tree starts to drop its needles, it is time for the tree to go into trash. Dried out trees are afire waiting to happen, so make sure to never leave those in the house or the garage. Also don’t place the tree up against the house. Check with your local community to find out when/where you can have the tree recycled.
· Take down any outdoor lights and put them away to prevent hazards as well as make them last longer.
Emergency Fire & Water Restoration is a full service general contractor, located in Southeastern Wisconsin. Our specialty is repairing damage caused by fire, smoke, water, wind, mold and natural disasters. We are located in Saint Francis, Wisconsin, a suburb of the Metro-Milwaukee area. Our primary focus is the satisfaction of our customers. We offer an honest approach to general contracting at a competitive price, and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Fire Damage Cleanup
, Fire Restoration
, Smoke Damage Restoration
, Water Damage Contractor